Thursday, July 12, 2007

Winnipeg, Manitoba

July 8 to 11, 2007

Winnipeg, Manitoba

We were hosted by the St. Norbert Behavioural Health Centre and the Manitoba Horse Council. Our accommodations were the Traditional Building and the Art Centre with meals in the main building. The centre was a monastery and is now an incredible addictions recovery centre. There were 101 resident when we were there, including men and women and their children. Many have FASD.

Events were planned for July 10th. The Manitoba Horse Council's Pat Ferguson made the arrangements, including a horse for me and riders to accompany me along with demonstration horses and riders from hunter / jumpers to dessage and an Arabian in full blue and gold flowing robes. BBQ and speaches, including the Minister of Health Promotion.

We met many of the residents and shared some very good conversations with them.

Bev Eastcott and Val Surbey were wonderfully helpful and their children are delightful. Their kids sure are lucky to have these women as their parents.

Eagle Feathers

I was completely stunned the evening before we left when the Elder instructed the Sundancer to present me with two Eagle Feathers, the highest honour I have ever received. One is to be worn in my hat and the other is to be used for smudge ceremonies. It brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it. This honour carries with it a great responsibilty to continue the journey regardless of obstacles we face. It will be so.

July 12 - 13, 2007

Brandon, Manitoba

We are guests of Turtle Crossing Campgrounds (formerly Curran Park). It is a beautiful wooded facility on the outskirts of the city with lots of activities such as baseball and a large manmade lake/swimming pool. They too have friends and family touched by Fetal Alcohol issues.

We were guests at noon at A-Channel's Brandon station, CKX TV. Host Heather Steele interviewed Joey Pattle and me for a 7 minute spot on the noon hour news program.

Events are planned for St. George's Anglican Church hall Friday, July 13th at 1 PM.

Internet Communications

Please be patient with us as we continue to catch up on details of the Ride and plan future events. Internet communications have been much more difficult than anticipated, including trying to get useable access to E-mail. I receive hundreds of letters daily, including junk mail. If is use browser mail, I can only see it while actively online. All libraries set time limits for access and it simply is not enough to download the backlog of mail, sort through the junk mail, and reply to the important stuff. If you need to reach me, please call my cell phone at 519-331-6408.

If I use my Eudora or Outlook, I can download the mail and prepare replies. However, sending the main means it goes through the local ISP, then to my ISP and then to the clients. However, that is called "Relay" and is blocked because it is a system often used by spammers. Sigh!!
I am still trying to find a work-around.

I hope to be able to upload some photos over the next day or two.

FUNDRAISING

Fundraising is absolutely critical. It is the generosity of previous communities that have allowed us to come to where we are. We can only continue to the next communities if we have your financial support. Fuel, food, some accommodations, repairs and other costs are real and have to be paid immediately when incurred. Your help is needed.

Thank you. Miigwetch.

Bruce Ritchie, Moderator, FASlink

2 comments:

JoJo said...

I have enjoyed following your blog, and therefore your journey. I attended the BBQ at the Behavioural Health Foundation and enjoyed hearing you speak about the ride and the cause. I was saddened to hear about Brandi, and the sorrow you all must be feeling. My condolences to you. I laughed when you used the word "sexy" when referring to her. I also have used that term when describing a horse! Glad to know I'm not the only one! Anyway, I just wanted to say good luck on the rest of your adventure!
Joanne - Manitoba Foster Family Network

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce, After our great chat tonight, I just had to do a search for the ride you are on. What a great pleasure it was to meet you, David and Casey tonight. I'll be sure to follow the rest of your tour now that I have found your blog.

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. Your timing could not have been more perfect given the day we had today.

Kim, Ivan and Aidan Stewart-Edmonton Alberta